- 250 g watermelon flesh, seeds removed
- ½ shallot, chopped fine
- 100 g grape tomatoes, stem removed, peeled and diced
- ½ small red chili pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
Chop the melon roughly and mix it together with the other ingredients in a Crystal or Copol bottle. Season with salt and pepper and store in the fridge.
Ingredients for Tataki (Accompaniment)
- 200 g tuna (sushi-grade)
- 200 g watermelon flesh, seeds removed
- 50 g brown sugar
- 100 ml water
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon red peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 cm ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Sea salt
Preparation for Tataki
Slice the tuna and the melon into 1.5 cm-wide strips. Set aside. Melt the sugar, add the water, bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add in all the other ingredients except for the oil and sea salt, and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Let the mixture cool, add in the tuna and melon and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, sear the tuna and melon briefly on all sides, cut the strips into 1.5 cm cubes and thread onto bamboo skewers.
Sprinkle the skewers with seal salt and crushed red pepper.